Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Kevin Hagenlocher's Men's Tennis Student-Athlete Blog #3

Hey everybody!

A lot has happened since last time I wrote! We’ve played lots of tennis and school just keeps getting busier and busier. Principia tennis fell to Greenville College 2-7. We competed fairly well but had a tough time with Greenville’s solid doubles game. I won my singles match improving my record in conference to 3-0.

This past weekend was the SLIAC Individual Tournament. Overall Principia competed well compared to previous years. Because of weather we were moved inside to a tennis center in Fulton, Ill., and then to Creve Coeur Racquet Club in St. Louis for the second day. I was the number one seed for the third flight going into the tournament. Although a first round bye made things easier, I had an extremely tight match against Jesse from Greenville in the second round. We ended up have to play a second set and match tiebreak. I won both, with a huge comeback from 2-7 in the match tiebreak. This win launched me into the finals vs. Webster. In the final I was able to get things done with a 6-4, 6-4 victory! I was awarded 1st Team All-Conference. The rest of the team did well too, with no finish below third place!

On Monday we played Webster again. This time they came back on top of their games. I lost my singles match in a match tiebreak - this broke my undefeated streak. Now Prin tennis is working hard to prepare for a solid match against Westminster College in the team tournament. The tourney is still two weeks out, a fair amount of time to pull things together!

We play Fontbonne soon as well as Carthage. Both are good chances to demonstrate what we’ve been working at this whole season. Talk to you guys soon!

-Kevin Hagenlocher
(about Kevin)

No comments:

Post a Comment